- Jets, Broncos complete trade for QB Tim Tebow (Yahoo! Sports)
Tim Tebow is coming to New York. Really. After a big false start, the New York Jets pulled off a Tebow-like comeback Wednesday night, getting the quarterback who turned the Denver Broncos from an also-ran into a playoff team last season and became the NFL’s most talked-about player — for a fourth- and sixth-round draft pick.
- Derek Fisher signs with Oklahoma City Thunder (Yahoo! Sports)After winning five NBA titles with the Los Angeles Lakers, Derek Fisher chose the West-leading Oklahoma City Thunder as the team where he wants to go for No. 6. Fisher signed with the Thunder for the remainder of the season on Wednesday, not quite a week after he was traded to Houston by the Lakers and subsequently bought out of his contract instead of playing with the Rockets.
- Knicks beat 76ers 82-79 for 5th straight win (Yahoo! Sports)
As Amare Stoudemire walked into the New York locker room with a towel over his shoulders, the coaching staff followed. When the door closed, one jubilant voice inside screamed: “How `Bout Those Knicks!” How about `em, indeed. Fueled by a dose of Linsanity and a timely coaching change, the Knicks are making a furious charge toward a division title.
- Saints coach suspended for season over bounties (Yahoo! Sports)
Meting out unprecedented punishment for a crush-for-cash bounty system that targeted key opposing players, the NFL suspended New Orleans Saints head coach Sean Payton without pay for next season and indefinitely banned the team’s former defensive coordinator, Gregg Williams. Payton is the first head coach suspended by the league for any reason, accused of trying to cover up a system of extra…
- Hanson, Lannan both shine as Braves top Nationals (Yahoo! Sports)While Atlanta’s Tommy Hanson took another step toward being ready for the start of the season, Washington right-hander Stephen Strasburg found out what he’ll be doing on opening day. Nationals manager Davey Johnson announced before a 3-2, 10-inning loss to the Braves that the 23-year-old Strasburg will start the season opener for Washington April 5 in Chicago.
- Shaka Smart staying at VCU; Illini search moves on (Yahoo! Sports)Virginia Commonwealth basketball coach Shaka Smart on Wednesday ended speculation that he might take the open job at Illinois by announcing that he’ll stay with the Rams. The decision by the young coach was cause for celebration among VCU fans and disappointment for their Illini counterparts — Illinois’ search for a replacement for fired coach Bruce Weber has begun to resemble the search…
- UNC’s Marshall out of cast after wrist surgery (Yahoo! Sports)
North Carolina point guard Kendall Marshall is out of his cast following surgery on his broken right wrist. In a text message to The Associated Press on Wednesday, Marshall’s father Dennis said his son is wearing a removable splint now. Marshall said on Twitter he had shed the cast earlier in the afternoon.
- Alex Smith signs three-year deal with 49ers (Yahoo! Sports)
No hard feelings on Alex Smith’s part that the San Francisco 49ers pursued Peyton Manning. In the end, Smith is right back where he expected to be all along — with the only franchise he has ever known. The free agent quarterback signed his three-year deal with the 49ers at last on Wednesday. It will pay him $8 million per season with $16.5 million guaranteed, according to a person with…
- Tiger Woods says he’s healthy and ready (Yahoo! Sports)From the fairway on the par-5 sixth hole at Bay Hill, caddie Joe LaCava looked back toward the tee box in time to see Tiger Woods stop suddenly in the middle of his swing. “What’s going on?” LaCava said, peering into the sun. He could see Woods flexing his right knee as he paced behind the ball, rubbing his lower back and stretching.