- AP Source: Alex Smith, 49ers close to deal (Yahoo! Sports)Alex Smith and the San Francisco 49ers were working Tuesday night to finalize a three-year contract, a person with knowledge of the negotiations said. The person, speaking on condition of anonymity because no announcement had been made, said Tuesday night final details were still being worked out and it could be complete as soon as Wednesday.
- Crosby racks up 4 assists, Penguins rip Jets 8-4 (Yahoo! Sports)
Sidney Crosby isn’t scoring goals. The way he is setting up his teammates, it hardly matters. The Pittsburgh captain dished out four assists in his first home game in over three months, James Neal recorded his second NHL hat trick, and the Penguins crushed the Winnipeg Jets 8-4 on Tuesday night. “You give them space and they eat you up,” Winnipeg coach Claude Noel said.
- Eagles acquire Pro Bowl LB Ryans from Texans (Yahoo! Sports)The Philadelphia Eagles made a big move to bolster the middle of their defense, acquiring two-time Pro Bowl linebacker DeMeco Ryans from the Houston Texans for a fourth-round draft pick in 2012. The Eagles and Texans also announced Tuesday they were swapping third-round choices in 2012. The Eagles now have the 89th pick overall, while the Texans have the 77th pick.
- Now a Bronco, Manning says hello to his new team (Yahoo! Sports)
John Elway flashed that mile-wide grin and turned the microphone over to his new quarterback, Peyton Manning. Talk about a powerful pair. Introducing Manning as the newest Denver Bronco on Tuesday, the two Super Bowl winners each talked about hoisting another Lombardi Trophy, this time together. And soon.
- Woods shows no problem with ankle (Yahoo! Sports)Tiger Woods made it through two days of a golf exhibition without any trouble with his left Achilles tendon. Woods withdrew from the final round at Doral on March 11 with tightness in his left Achilles tendon, the same one that forced him to miss two majors last year. Woods later said he was being smart about his injury, and that it turned out to be a minor strain.
- Six-race suspension of crew chief Knaus overturned (Yahoo! Sports)NASCAR’s chief appellate officer overturned on Tuesday the bulk of the penalties levied against five-time championship winning crew chief Chad Knaus, who still must pay a $100,000 fine because Jimmie Johnson’s car failed the opening day inspection of the Daytona 500.
- Grizzlies sign G Gilbert Arenas for rest of season (Yahoo! Sports)The Grizzlies have signed Gilbert Arenas for the remainder of the season, filling a need at point guard. Memphis officials confirmed the signing Tuesday. Contract details were not immediately available. The oft-injured free agent had not played since finishing last season with the Orlando Magic. Arenas worked out for Memphis on Monday and will be used to backup point guard Mike Conley, who hasn’t…
- Williams: UNC preparing to play without Marshall (Yahoo! Sports)
North Carolina is preparing to play without injured point guard Kendall Marshall. The Tar Heels just haven’t figured out how yet. Coach Roy Williams said Tuesday that his team’s “preparation is 100 percent” to go without Marshall after the pass-first guard had surgery to repair his broken right wrist.
- Tigers’ Cabrera to miss a week, ready for opener (Yahoo! Sports)Detroit Tigers third baseman Miguel Cabrera has a broken bone below his right eye after being struck by a bad-hop grounder, sidelining the star slugger for at least a week with opening day on deck. The AL Central champions start April 5 at home against Boston, giving Cabrera less than 2 1/2 weeks to recover.