- 49ers, WR Mario Manningham agree on 2-year deal (Yahoo! Sports)The agent for wide receiver Mario Manningham says the free agent has agreed to terms with the San Francisco 49ers on a two-year contract. The former New York Giants wideout met Thursday with the 49ers, who also still appear to have interest in Peyton Manning after coach Jim Harbaugh worked him out Tuesday at Duke University.
- Bolton’s Muamba critical after collapsing in game (Yahoo! Sports)
Bolton midfielder Fabrice Muamba was critically ill in a hospital’s heart attack unit on Saturday night after collapsing during an FA Cup quarterfinal at Tottenham. Muamba fell face-down to the field near the midfield line without any players near him. Medics rushed onto the field with a defibrillator and treated the 23-year-old, pumping his chest for around six minutes of treatment before he…
- Teague’s 24 leads Kentucky over Iowa State 87-71 (Yahoo! Sports)
Freshman Marquis Teague finally feels in step with Kentucky coach John Calipari’s offense. Now, he’s taking the Wildcats to the South Regional semifinals in Atlanta, and maybe a lot farther than that. Teague scored a career-high 24 points and top seed Kentucky put together another complete performance with a dominating second-half run in an 87-71 victory over Iowa State in the third round…
- Indiana rallies to top VCU 63-61 (Yahoo! Sports)
Will Sheehey had two options when he grabbed the loose ball: back it out and play for the final shot of regulation, or take the open jumper. Indiana coach Tom Crean wanted the Hoosiers to be aggressive on Saturday, and Sheehey was paying attention. The sophomore forward made a 15-footer from the baseline with 12.7 seconds left after a shot was blocked right to him, and the fourth-seeded Hoosiers…
- Patriots sign WR Anthony Gonzalez (Yahoo! Sports)The New England Patriots signed former Colts wide receiver Anthony Gonzalez on Saturday. Later ESPN.com reported, citing unidentified league sources, the Patriots also reached an agreement with free agent wide receiver Brandon Lloyd. The 27-year-old Gonzalez was a first-round draft pick in 2007 out of Ohio State.
- Wisconsin holds off Vanderbilt 60-57 (Yahoo! Sports)
The Wisconsin Badgers are riding the nation’s stingiest defense — and admittedly a bit of luck — back to the round of 16. The Badgers held the Southeastern Conference’s two leading scorers in check Saturday night and Ryan Evans grabbed a crucial rebound with 2.1 seconds left to help Wisconsin fend off Vanderbilt 60-57 in the NCAA tournament.
- Crowder leads Marquette past Murray State, 62-53 (Yahoo! Sports)
Marquette has perfected the art of the comeback. Down late yet again, Jae Crowder scored six points during a decisive 14-2 run, and the third-seeded Golden Eagles pulled away from Murray State for a 62-53 victory Saturday that sends the Golden Eagles into next weekend’s West Regional semifinals. Crowder finished with 17 points, 12 in the second half, and also had 13 rebounds.
- Top-seeded Syracuse beats Kansas State 75-59 (Yahoo! Sports)
It had been a while since Syracuse played like the team that spent all season ranked in the top five. In the second half Saturday, the top-seeded Orange looked like that group and maybe even better, pulling away to a 75-59 victory over eighth-seeded Kansas State in the third round of the East Regional.
- Cooke, Crosby lead Pittsburgh to 5-2 win over NJ (Yahoo! Sports)
Sidney Crosby felt more comfortable in the second game of his comeback as the Pittsburgh Penguins sent the New Jersey Devils reeling. Matt Cooke scored two goals, Evgeni Malkin added his 40th of the season and Crosby had three assists to lead the Penguins to their 11th straight win, 5-2 over the Devils on Saturday.