- South Florida upsets Temple 58-44 after cold start (Yahoo! Sports)
South Florida gave the Temple Owls an early preview of the Big East’s grinding style, and the Bulls added another upset to the NCAA tournament. Victor Rudd Jr. and Anthony Collins each scored 17 points, and the Bulls shook off a frigid first 20 minutes, upsetting fifth-seeded Temple 58-44 Friday night in the Midwest Regional.
- Ohio upsets Michigan 65-60 in NCAA tourney (Yahoo! Sports)
Walter Offutt got a taste for what it was like to beat Michigan while he was at Ohio State. Clinching an upset win for Ohio over the Wolverines in the NCAA tournament is just a bit sweeter. Offutt, who ended up at Ohio by way of Wright State, grabbed a loose ball, was fouled by Evan Smotrycz and sank both of his free throws with 6.8 seconds left to preserve Ohio’s 65-60 upset of Michigan on…
- Blazers topple Bulls 100-89 (Yahoo! Sports)
After a tumultuous couple of days that featured a 42-point loss and a shakeup of the Trail Blazers, LaMarcus Aldridge gave his new head coach a well-deserved hug after beating the best team in the league. Aldridge scored 21 points and Wesley Matthews added 18 and the revamped Portland Trail Blazers defeated the Chicago Bulls 100-89 on Friday.
- McCollum leads Lehigh to 75-70 upset win over Duke (Yahoo! Sports)
The Lehigh Mountain Hawks said they weren’t afraid of mighty Duke. Maybe no one believed them at the time, but the Patriot League champions proved they were serious. C.J. McCollum scored 30 points and Lehigh upset Duke 75-70 to become the second No. 15 seed to beat a No. 2 during a wild Friday in the NCAA tournament.
- Woods to play next week in 2 events (Yahoo! Sports)Tiger Woods returned to practice Friday and declared himself ready to play next week after recovering from a strained Achilles tendon. Woods said on his website that his left Achilles tendon felt fine and that he would play in the two-day Tavistock Cup exhibition that starts Monday, and then the Arnold Palmer Invitational at Bay Hill.
- No. 15 seed Norfolk St stuns No. 2 Missouri 86-84 (Yahoo! Sports)
Kyle O’Quinn’s booming voice echoed through the halls, the jovial center for Norfolk State riding the euphoria of a monumental upset of Missouri as the words spilled out of his mouth faster than he could think. “We messed up some brackets! We messed up some brackets!” he bellowed, before turning a corner and seeing a pack of reporters.
- LHP Andy Pettitte makes comeback, rejoins Yankees (Yahoo! Sports)Andy Pettitte went with his heart and headed back to the hill. A year after the star left-hander said he didn’t have the desire to keep pitching, Pettitte ended his brief retirement and announced Friday he was returning to the New York Yankees. Three months shy of his 40th birthday, Pettitte signed a minor league deal with an invitation to spring training.
- North Carolina beats Vermont 77-58 in NCAA opener (Yahoo! Sports)
John Henson had a great seat on the North Carolina sideline to watch his teammates advance in the NCAA tournament. The question is how long the Tar Heels will have to win without him, not to mention if his sore left wrist will heal enough to make him a factor in March at all. Tyler Zeller had 17 points and 15 rebounds to help North Carolina beat Vermont 77-58 on Friday in its NCAA tournament opener…
- Manning update: Broncos, Titans and 49ers are left (Yahoo! Sports)
The stealthy 49ers are in the chase for Peyton Manning. The Dolphins and Cardinals are out. And the Broncos and Titans want to make sure the four-time NFL MVP is healthy. Got all that? After a brief lull, the pursuit of Manning sure got interesting in a hurry Friday. The year’s top free agent, who has been rehabbing in North Carolina after a string of neck surgeries, threw the football at…